Once in a blue moon I like to surprise everyone around me and say that I've cooked something really delicious.
When I really want to knock someone out of their chair I say I made up my own recipe.
Kids, I know. Mama's cookin' up a storm in the kitchen.
Well, not really, as this may be the most minimalistic "recipe" involving no more than 4 steps but it's the idea that I thought of that is startling for this yogurt-for-dinner kind of girl.
The creativity was sparked when broccoli and hummus were on sale at our local Spar (European grocery store brand to my fellow Stateside readers 😉 ) My usual grocery list involves any in-season vegetables so I picked up two heads of broccoli, my usual chicken and the nearing-the-end-of-it's-life hummus. All too frequently chicken is dry and tasteless, so after discovering the one and only way to make it tasty tender is to chop it up into really fine slivers and fry it stovetop with some onion, this became routine. But just like everything else in life, routine becomes boring and hummus turned everything around in the food department.
Might I add here, Lars is in Norway doing his rotations so I live alone now and hummus is about as exciting as my Wednesday night gets. But let me tell you, this recipe is worth the hype.
Hummus Crusted Chicken
Serves 4. Or one person for dinner and lunch for practically a whole week. So best to like it 🙂
Two heads of broccoli
125 g quinoa
paprika powder (I do live in Hungary after all...)
- Preheat your oven to 180° celcius
- Take a pot of water and prep your quinoa
- Chop up your broccoli head into florets and spread onto a baking tray
- Drizzle with oil and salt. Fancy people would put the broccoli into a bowl and pour the oil and coat each piece evenly but lets be honest. Dishes + time.
- Cut your chicken breasts into 4 even pieces.
- Spoon the hummus over the chicken
- Optional: drizzle some paprika powder to embrace your Hungarian resident card
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the hummus turns into a nice golden brown and the broccoli looks roasted.
Now while your hummus has made sweet love to the chicken in the oven, your quinoa is most likely finished. How satisfying is life when everything comes together at just the right time. *sigh*
Simple. Healthy. Quick. Cheap. Delicious. The student's golden food mantra.
Winner winner chicken dinner.